25-pdr QF gun and original 3BAM crest.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Old Port, Labour Day Weekend 2012

How did I get involved with 3BAM? It started a couple of years ago, while walking down Queen Mary Rd. in the course of an exercise walk. I saw a flatbed truck going up the road, and on the back of the flatbed was an old WWII Chevy gun tractor with a 25-pdr gun behind.

Given the proximity to the Cotes-des-Neiges Armoury, where my old artillery regiment, (2nd Field RCA) is headquartered, I should have thought nothing of it, except that the 25-pdr gun on the back of the flatbed was a different one from the one that's been sitting one parade square there for decades, having a muzzle brake. So I did what everyone else does today, I posted the news along with my puzzlement on Facebook. The answer came quickly, and from around the world...Afghanistan to be precise, where my old battery commander, David Patterson, now a colonel in the regular army was serving a tour. He informed me of the existence of 3BAM, that it was headed by a former RSM of mine, CWO (Ret'd) Gilles Aubé, and that they fired and maintained both the regiment's 25-pdr gun and the one I'd seen going up the hill.

I was intrigued, but for many months did nothing, until providence intervened again, again through Facebook when it suggested I become friends with Gilles Aubé, somewhere in April of 2012, I think. I did. Along the course of exchanges, I told Gilles that I was a photographer these days and that possibly I could help them out by shooting photos for them or that sort of thing. Gilles was pretty interested but it wasn't until the Labour Day weekend that I was able to show up for an event.  Aside from CWO Aubé, present that weekend were a few old faces I had not seen in over 20 years, including MWO (ret) Tom Savoie, my old BSM, and WO (ret) Gilles Pelletier, who I had not known very well but still remembered.  Also present, L/Sgt Marc-Antoine Hotte, son of Sgt (ret) Robert (Bob) Hotte who I had done my gunner's course with in 1982.

It was a four-day event, I showed up late on the second day, shot a few photos, then came back the next day, armed with a few large prints I'd made to present to the group, including one of the #7 Dial Sight that Gilles absolutely loved. I have to say that 'm pretty fond of it myself. I stayed with them the whole day this time, shooting more photos, and when the crowds got big and there were too many spectators on the position asking questions and wanting to know about the equipment, I found myself jumping in to help explain things, despite my photographers black civilian clothes and trademark fedora hat. You can leave the artillery, but it never really leaves you.

From the moment I gave Gilles his photo, my services were pretty much in demand and my fate was sealed. More missions came up and each time, Gilles gave me a shout asking if I could come by and shoot more photos for them. Each time, I said "yes." I don't get paid for this; 3BAM is a non-profit group, but it's a pleasure to help them in any way I can for the simple reason that as a living history group, they help preserve the traditions of our corps, and our regiment. The story they tell, is OUR story.

Ubique!

Gary Menten
Photographer